Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

First-hand experiences of the unemployed

From the October 3rd edition of Huffpost Hill:

DAILY DELANEY DOWNER - Sadness from the unemployment mailbag: "I have zero self esteem. I have let down my family and everyone I love. I'm a lousy role model for my son. I don't wish to be a burden for the government, my parents or my family. I just want a job."

And from the September 24th edition:

DOUBLE DOWNER - People do not appreciate food stamp shaming. Cindy Nerger, a dialysis patient who gets by with a little help from food stamps, did not appreciate getting hassled by a supermarket cashier last week. "I was upset, so, I was like, you know, I told you that it was covered under food stamps, you know, so, there was no need for all of this, you know, and he said, 'Well excuse me that I work for a living and don't rely on food stamps like you,'" Nerger told local station WMAZ. "I was angry at first, but it turned into tears because when I turned around and I saw the people there I was like, oh my goodness, and I just started crying."

I use this quote from Shakespeare on my Twitter page: "You take my life when you do take the means whereby I live." As the two examples above demonstrate, he could not have been more prescient.

0 comments:

Post a Comment